On behalf of the Karystos Beekeeping Association "Dimitris Rigas 2004", we express our deepest condolences to the families and loved ones of the three victims of the fire that broke out on 7/23/2023 in Platanistos.
We also express our strong protest against the absence of a fire protection plan and above all prevention, in our place, which in every fire leads to the known disastrous results.
During its evolution, the last fire directly threatened the settlements: Platanistos, Antia, Livadi and Kastri. For three days, helping each other, many of us, residents, farmers, breeders, beekeepers, stood next to the fire department, which with few, old and in some cases inappropriate means, fought against the fire in our relatively inaccessible area. We also struggled, together with the volunteers, to save what we could of our properties and the properties of our fellow human beings, despite the problems in the coordination of all involved. As many houses and infrastructures were saved, they were spared by the action of all of us.
From then until today we are struggling to collect what is left of the burnt.
While the fire threatened lives and property, the companies of the largest wind farm in the Balkans, which ostensibly advocate environmental protection, did not dispose of a single excavator to create fire zones. Instead, they hurried to remove their equipment so that it would not be endangered.
SERIOUS CONSEQUENCES from the fire are faced today by many fellow beekeepers, as many hives have been burned, while large beekeeping areas have been incinerated, even during the flowering and honey harvest season.
The above is only part of the great disaster that includes:
- 4900 acres of incinerated land (forest lands, pastures, olive groves and other crops)
- Burnt stables and agricultural infrastructure (storages, tires, fodder, etc.).
- Burned flocks and beehives
In addition to the immediate consequences of the fire, many beekeepers and livestock farmers have suffered significant damage to stocks, which were in refrigerators and freezers, from the power outage for 2 and 3 days. If the network was underground then the damage from the fire would be much smaller.
The continuous appeals of beekeepers and other organizations, for the undergrounding of Medium Voltage cables, with the latest one concerning the "KASTRI EVIAS" wind farm, remain unanswered by the authorities. The network is going underground just so that the wind companies don't lose profits...
FOR ALL BEEKEEPERS WE REQUIRE:
- The immediate activation of the Services of the Directorate of Agricultural Economy of EVIA regional unit, to record our damages in their entirety.
- To take into account the adverse effects of the fire on the beekeeping flora for the following years, so as to cover not only the immediate needs in bee food but also the needs in the long term, until the natural environment recovers.
- To compensate, at 100%, all beekeepers without exception for losses in livestock and beekeeping equipment.
- To calculate the coverage of fuel needs, due to the increased movements of long distances, an extremely unaffordable expense in today's conditions of high precision.
WE DEMAND THAT EVERY NECESSARY MEASURE BE TAKEN TO PROTECT OUR ENVIRONMENT, LIFE AND PROPERTY.
- The anti-corrosion - anti-flooding works should start now, based on organized and scientific studies.
- To open all the necessary roads, in order to facilitate fire fighting.
- Before the start of the next fire-fighting season, fire-fighting zones should be opened, and our villages should be cleaned of dangerous fuel.
- To strengthen the Karystos Fire Service with sufficient and permanent staff.
- To strengthen the Forestry Service of Karystos with personnel of all specialties, but also with appropriate means, so that it can perform all the above tasks.
- To underground the medium voltage network as our Association and other organizations in the region have repeatedly demanded.
- To give 100% compensation to all those affected without exception.
WE UNDERLINE that we will assert each of our just demands together with all our affected fellow citizens, as together we stood against the fire.
The Board of Directors of
KARYSTOS BEEKEEPING ASSOCIATION "DIMITRIS RIGAS 2004"